Bristol Kendall
Fire Protection District

Bristol Kendall
Fire Protection District

Electricity

Do’s and don’ts of electricity

Do

  • Only use plugs that fit the outlet.
  • Use waterproof cords outdoors.
  • Only use extension cords if absolutely necessary. Make sure they are rated high enough for the job at hand.
  • Check that all wire insulation is in good working order.
  • Follow manufacturer’s recommendations and instructions for all electrical equipment.
  • Use licensed electricians for electrical repairs.

Don’t

  • Overload outlets.
  • Use temporary wiring in place of permanent wiring.
  • Touch electrical appliances, wires, or outlets with wet hands.
  • Put anything but electrical plugs into electrical outlets.
  • Run cords under rugs, along the floor, or through doors where they can be damaged.
  • Place cords near heat or water.
  • Let grease, dust, or dirt build up on machinery.

Know what to do

Electrical shock

  • Don’t touch the victim.
  • Turn power off immediately.
  • Call the fire department.
  • Give CPR if no pulse. Give rescue breathing if the patient is not breathing.
  • Try not to move the victim.
  • Keep patient lying down and lightly covered.

Electrical fire

  • Do not use water or touch the burning object.
  • Call the fire department.
  • If the fire is small use a CO2 or ABC rated extinguisher.

Electrical burns

  • Minor burns: rinse with cool water and cover with clean dry cloth.
  • Major burns: cover with a clean dry cloth and seek immediate medical attention.